During the past two years we have increased our internet speed by over 150%.
If you are using wireless and do not see SMUMN Fast in your connection list, it means that your computer does not support the 5ghz band of wireless. It will only be able to operate on the 2.4ghz network which will be slower for wireless.
The fastest internet connection is to use a wired connection with a data cable instead of a wireless connection.
Wireless connections are shared between multiple computers, and works best for light-weight tasks such as:
- Checking Email
- Web Browsing
- Accessing Library Databases
- Using Blackboard, Webtools, and other SMU services
In all instances, a wired data connection will be faster since it is dedicated to just your computer. It is recommended to use the data jack for these activities:
- Video streaming including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.
- Playing online video games
- Downloading of large files
- Running updates on your computer
- Video conferencing and Skype
Other tips to speed up your internet connection:
- Do not use peer to peer file sharing programs
- When you are done using a program such as Skype, sign out and exit the program
Be sure to stop at the HelpDesk to get your free 3 foot data cable!
Here is a diagram of how the connections are layed out in each ResHall room: