During the past few years, we have increased our internet speed by over 150%.
A wired network connection will always be faster than a wireless connection. Consider plugging in for a better online experience.
Wireless connections are shared between multiple computers, and work best for light-weight tasks such as:
- Checking Email
- Web Browsing
- Accessing Library Databases
Wired data connections will be faster and are dedicated to an individual user. It is recommended to plug in for these activities:
- Synchronous classes via Zoom
- Panopto videos
- Taking online tests
- Video streaming including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.
- Playing online video games
- Downloading large files
- Running updates on your computer
- Video conferencing and Skype
Other tips to speed up your internet connection:
- Do not use peer to peer file sharing programs
- Close unnecessary programs
- Make sure your device is malware and virus free
If needed, stop at the HelpDesk to get your free network cable!
Here is a diagram of how the connections are layed out in each ResHall room: