Saint Mary's University of Minnesota has obtained a campus-wide license for Respondus LockDown Browser. Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a customized browser that increases the security of test delivery in Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser to access an exam, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until it’s submitted for grading.
Click HERE to view a short instructional video overview of Respondus LockDown Browser.
To Activate Respondus LockDown Browser in your Blackboard Course:
- Login to your course and expand the Control Panel menu.
- Click on the Customization section.
- Click Tool Availability to open the Tool Availability page.
- Click the checkbox in the Available column beside the Respondus LockDown Browser row.
- Click Submit to enable this tool for your course.
Requiring Respondus LockDown Browser for an Assessment
To require the Respondus LockDown Browser for an assessment that has already been deployed in your Blackboard course, go to the Control Panel menu, locate the Course Tools section, and click the link for Respondus LockDown Browser. The Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard will display a list of Blackboard tests that have been deployed in your course.
Tests that currently require the use of Respondus LockDown Browser will have their title appended with “- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser” and show Required. Tests in the course that don’t currently require students to use Respondus LockDown Browser will show Not Required. Follow these steps to enable Respondus LockDown Browser for a test:
1. Click the context menu button to the left of the test title and select “Modify Settings”.
2. Select the option for Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam (you can turn off this requirement by selecting the option Don't require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam).
3. Optionally you may enter an exam password that students must enter to start the exam or test. The Respondus LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided password before proceeding with the exam or test.
4. You may also enter an optional exit password that can be used to close the LockDown Browser while an exam or test is being administered. This feature is only intended for situations where an instructor wants to allow a student to exit the browser in the middle of taking the test. If an exit password isn’t entered for a test, the default exit password (set by the administrator of the LockDown Browser license) will be used.
5. Click Submit to require students to use Respondus LockDown Browser for this test.
The “Instructor Quick Start Guide” for Respondus LockDown Browser is available at: