Saint Mary's University of Minnesota has obtained a campus-wide license for Respondus LockDown Browser. Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a customized browser that increases the security of test delivery in Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser to access an exam, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until it’s submitted for grading.
Students can click on the following link to download and install LockDown Browser:
NOTE: Students will need administrator access on the computer they plan to install the browser on.
A “Student Quick Start Guide” for Respondus LockDown Browser is available at:
The system requirements for Respondus LockDown Browser are as follows:
- Windows 7, Vista, XP
- Internet Explorer (configured to the requirements for the Blackboard platform)
- 4 MB of permanent space on the hard drive
- 128 MB RAM
- Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
- Safari browser (configured to the requirements for the Blackboard platform)
- 3 MB of free hard drive space
- 512 MB RAM
Installation of Browser (Windows)
Follow these steps to install Respondus LockDown Browser (Windows):
- Start the Windows computer (Windows XP or higher)
- Confirm that a supported version of Internet Explorer is installed to your computer. This is accomplished by doing the following:
- Start Internet Explorer (if you are unsure how to do this, click the “Start” menu in Windows, click “Programs,” select “Internet Explorer”)
- Select “Help” from the menu bar in Internet Explorer and then select “About Internet Explorer” to make sure the version meets the required version of Internet Explorer supported by Blackboard Learn
- Download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser software using a method described in the previous section “Distribution of the Setup Program.”
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser using either the shortcut that appears on the Windows desktop or by going to Start > All Programs > Respondus > LockDown Browser.
Installation of Browser (Mac)
Follow these steps to install the Mac version of Respondus LockDown Browser:
1. Start the Mac computer (OS X 10.5 or higher).
2. Confirm that a supported version of Safari is installed to your computer. This is accomplished by doing the following
- Start Safari. (if you are unsure how to do this, click the “Finder”, select the “Applications” folder, select “Safari”)
- Select “Safari” from the menu bar in Safari and then select “About Safari” to make sure the version meets the required version of Safari supported by Blackboard Learn.
3. Download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser software using a method described in the previous section “Distribution of the Setup Program.
4. Start Respondus LockDown Browser by going to Finder > Applications > LockDown Browser.